Beware: links are stored here. Some links have lived here for so long, they started to rot. That’s a shame but part of life on the internet.
If you look closely the URL mentions something about a blogroll, but that’s not quite accurate, is it now?
Some links are here because I kept them open in a browser tab for too long, so I might not have read them carefully myself. Neither do I necessarily endorse whatever is listed on these pages, deal with it! I also bookmark stuff under edwinwenink.xyz/microblog/ , but those I have read for sure.
I do more or less try to organize links - it’s a futile effort, one may call it Archive Fever - but it doesn’t always work out. The order of links has no significance. That’s OK.
I collect links for finding more links under “Tiny Directories and Blogrolls,” if you want to go through hyperspace.
Intended to be permanently under construction.
O /\=,---. /\ `O' `
Insightful Blogs ¶
- I absolutely adore everything about
Matt Might’s blog
- He accurately describes my ideal approach to blogging
- Absolute gem. Also see the kickscondor Q&A
- Old url: https://nadiaeghbal.com/
- For example this post on slow thinking
- Overview basic commands
- At least one Vim trick you might not know
- Vim Macro Trickz
- Do 90% of what plugins do with just vim
- Statusline guide
- Vim registers 101
Workflow / Writing ¶
- Markdown cheatsheet
- Mutt workflow of Greg Kroah-Hartman
- On Digital Minimalism
- Git Magic
- Pandocomatic: pandoc automation
- Plea for parallel web and book publishing
On Zettelkasten ¶
- Great short but comprehensive intro to Zettelkasten
- Living with a Zettelkasten (digital system)
- Johannes F.K. Schmidt on Zettelkasten:
- The Zettelkasten Method (physical system)
Plain text tools and note-taking ¶
- Plaintext Productivity
Andy Matuschak’s notes
- Great example of a Zettelkasten style website
- Contains very useful notes about note-taking (it should be about more effective thinking )
- Why (and How) I Wrote My Academic Book in Plain Text
- The Plain Person’s Guide to Plain Text Social Science
- Some Idiosyncratic Reflections on Note-Taking in General and ConnectedText in Particular
- How to Make a Complete Map of Every Thought You Think
- Integrated Research Environment with Vim (Web Archive version)
- Vim-Based Integrated Research Environment (seems incomplete)
- Very comprehensive Org mode guide in Emacs
Org mode workflow with Emacs
- This whole blog is actually filled with nice posts on notetaking, but all centerd on org mode and Emacs.
- Basic intro to GTD with Org mode
- Maintaining your bibtex references using git
- Progressive Summarization: A Practical Technique for Designing Discoverable Notes
Digital Garden ¶
- This site is fascinating and a technical feat in itself. Note to self: look here more often!
- uses confidence tags to indicate epistemic status
The Jolly Contrarian (very witty!)
philosopher.life (a unique personal wiki)
‘Academic’ tips, approaches ¶
- How to ask questions the smart way .
- How to disagree
- Richard Hamming - You and Your Research
- Ten Secrets to Giving a Good Scientific Talk
The Web (knowledge, archive, memory) ¶
- The Web of Alexandria
- As We May Think - Vannevar Bush, 1945
- The Cobweb - Can the Internet be archived?
Internet with a human face
- “I’ve come to believe that a lot of what’s wrong with the Internet has to do with memory. The Internet somehow contrives to remember too much and too little at the same time, and it maps poorly on our concepts of how memory should work.”
- “THE WEB HAS A CENTER”
- The Web’s Grain
- Books about the Internet
- Internet Invention
Indieweb and Federated Networks ¶
- An introduction to the IndieWeb
- Indiewebify your Hugo website
- Embracing the Indieweb (Hugo)
- Bridgy and fed.brid.gy
- How to Post on Indieweb.xyz
- TODO Clientside webmentions
Tiny directories, webrings and blogrolls ¶
- href.cool: web directory by kicks
- kick condor
- Gossip’s Web the directory of handmade webpages
- Ye Old Blogroll
- Trivium by Leah Neukirchen (mostly tech)
- “tilde.club is not a social network it is one tiny totally standard unix computer” .
- collection of tilde communities
- Wiby: search engine for classic websites
- You can use GitHub for tiny directories - awesome!
- Tiny web directory forum
- XXIIVV webring
- Collection of canonical short texts, mostly on (cyber)culture .
Machine learning and data science ¶
- Deep Learning - The Straight Dope
- explained.ai: deep explanations of machine learning by Terence Parr
- Visual overview of nets in The Neural Network Zoo by Fjodor van Veen.
Convolutional Neural Networks for Visual Recognition - Stanford Course
- Related course website
- Andrej Karpathy :
- Online book: Neural Networks and Deep Learning
- Online book: Deep Learning
- Arxiv Sanity: repo of sane machine learning papers
- A ‘Brief’ History of Neural Nets and Deep Learning by Andrey Kurenkov
- Neural Networks, Manifolds, and Topology by Christopher Olah.
- Calling Bullshit: Data Reasoning in a Digital World
- Guide to Prolog Programming
AI & Society ¶
- De Klos : blog of my friend Boris on the challenges of the Antrophocene (old version)
- NewAPPS: Art, Politics, Philosophy, Science
What can I do with a philosophy major
- Same domain contains several educational resources on philosophy
- Stoicism-fu: internet guide to what’s worth keeping in Stoicism
- Fivebooks.com philosophy section : recommended readings by known philosophers for many areas of philosophy.
- Conscious Entities : casual blog for some late-night philosophy, with a nice clean look.
Text graphics: ASCII, ANSI, PETSCII, etc. ¶
- TSP art
- “This phantom limb is used as a way of signaling busyness and unapproachability to strangers while existing as an addictive force that promotes the splitting of attention between those who are physically with you and those who are not.”
- See this page for art that my mother makes
- NULLCTRL glitch art
- Dem Bones: daily generated skeletons
- Bert Wenink (that’s my dad) wrote amongst other things a historical novel that describes the Atjeh war in Indonesia, The Netherland’s longest and bloodiest colonial war.
Minimalist / nostalgic / retro website design ¶
- Make a website with only pandoc and make
- Tilde website with only pandoc and make
- No idea what this is but the design is crazy
- personal site of emile sadria
Also see web paleontology .
Unix stuff ¶
- w3m manual
- Unix as literature
- Adapted Unix for Poets
- Useless Use of Cat Award
- GUIs considered harmful
Creative Coding ¶
- Attractors book
- Clifford attractors
- Drawing with purrrr
- Make your own algorithmic art
- Nature of code
Information retrieval ¶
Technology (and society) ¶
Links I do not know yet how to categorize. Perhaps that’s the beauty of it.
- Teaching in Minecraft
- Ribbonfarm: constructions in magical thinking
- Paul Graham’s site : idem, still to categorize
Not to be confused with miscellaneous. These are really quite random.
Q: What is the connection between goats and Justin Bieber?
A: My friend Joran apparently promised to make a website about them.
- Hyper Text Coffee Pot Control Protocol
- Cult of the party parrot
- GPL license
- How my website looked when I began out
Nothing yet. Be the first!